Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You have been





















Source: Harmer, Jeremy (2007) The Practice of English Language Teaching, Fourth Edition, Pearson Longman Publishers (pages 336, 337).

1. Using an overhead projector, poster or whatever, show students the following "poems" (or similar ones - I teach at a Christian university, so this goes well with them), covering the bottom part where the answer (who is it?) is.

2. Get students to guess who/what the poems are talking about.

3. Group students into threes, give them large sheets of paper, and let them write their own poems/riddles. They can then decorate them.

4. Students can post their poems on the wall until the next class, so the rest of the class can read them and try to guess who/what they are talking about.

5. Students can also write the answer on the poster, but cover it up with a flap. These posters make a great bulletin board, too!

Sample poems:

You have seen the Heavens before they were made
You have planned the foundations of the earth
Your words have formed the world
You have received glory from Heaven
Your heart has created love
You have seen men turn away from you
You have offered your life
You have provided salvation
You have given more than you can give
Yet you have given me a choice
And you are coming soon for me and those who love you

(answer: Jesus Christ)


I have seen nationalities eating together
I have smelled flavours from different countries
I have seen friendships started during a meal
I have seen romantic gestures, I have heard romantic words
I've heard complaints, I've seen wrinkled noses
I have seen an important part of campus life

Who am I?

(Answer: school cafeteria)


Here are some poems my students came up with:

You're the first person that I've seen
You've been the most improtant in my heart
You've given everything to me
You've solved all my problems
You've taken care of me when I've been sick
You're the one... I love you

(mom)

by Krisdha M, Sirisuda B, Wanida P.


We have seen them every day
We have used them every day,
but we don't use them in our tests
We have heard them in only one language
We have gotten a lot of knowledge from them
We have fed them electricity when they are hungry
We have kept them in our pockets
We haven't seen them contact other people

(electronic dictionaries)

By Dany, Keita, Andy and Pik

I have been with you
I have gone with you everywhere
I have saved you from dust
I have been on your feet

(shoes)

By Prapatsorn, Namtip, Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment